Sunday, October 13, 2013

Is Digital Entertainment Overtaking Traditional Toys?


Movies and video games have become so widespread in recent years that they are practically becoming one of the most dominant forms of entertainment. Does this compliment the toy industry, or spell danger for it?

Hasbro, one of the largest and well-known toy companies, announced in a statement that they were to divert funding and focus onto their entertainment division of the company. With other toy-influenced films such as Battleship, Candyland and a G.I. Joe sequel set to be released, Hasbro for one seems intent on establishing an enterprise in digital entertainment, particularly after the success of such Hasbro entertainment films as the Transformers film series.

Though a general shift toward pushing digital entertainment may compliment toys themselves, it may also lead to a decline in purchasing and utilizing real, physical toys, particularly amongst children.

This reminded me of a commercial (the product of which I can’t remember) that I had seen recently in which a little girl uses her toy chest as a chair to sit at the computer and play an online video game. It made me realize that perhaps children had averted much of their creative interest from physical, tangible toys to visual stimulation in the form of movies, television and video games.

When I was a kid, my parents often tried to let me expand my creative horizon of my own accord, rather than confining me to common toys or franchises. When thinking of unique gift ideas, they did their best to balance visual entertainment with fun, creative toys that I could physically engage in. Instead of action figures, they bought me sets of assorted Lego pieces, which allowed me to build my own creations and personalize the toys according to what I enjoyed, rather than pushing mainstream, already assembled toys that didn’t expand personal creativity.

I think that although digital forms of entertainment are fun and should flourish on their own, they shouldn’t take the place of conventional toys that allow children and adults to expand their personalization and creativity. A balance should be struck in which both digital entertainment, and classic toys should be allowed to exist harmoniously, without one taking over the other.  

No comments:

Post a Comment